Have you found yourself doing a mad dash to finish cleaning your short term rental right before your guests arrive? Oh yeah, we've all been there. Maybe your guest didn't know what time check out was and left late leaving you with less than your usual time to do all the cleaning. Or, you accidentally slept in and forgot you had new guests arriving in a few hours. There's nothing worse than knowing you won't have the time you need to clean everything properly. We get it, you don't want to disappoint your guests or get a bad review. But we got your back!
We have some quick and easy hacks that will make your rental look cleaner without actually doing a full cleaning. Yes, your rental may not be at its optimal state of clean but with a few of these cleaning hacks your rental will look great and your guests will never be the wiser.
- An organized space looks cleaner to the eye. So, straighten up and put all the major items and furniture back in their proper place.
- Make a good first impression. Enter the space as your guests will and swipe the surfaces of obvious gunk, prioritizing based on what your guests will see when they first arrive.
- In the bathroom, you need to wipe away evidence of the previous guests. First up, wipe any splatter marks off the bathroom mirror.
- Then, rinse the bathroom sink of any crud.
- Clean the toilet of visible skeevy stuff.
- Make sure to get the watermarks on the chrome sink faucet and shower knobs as the draw the eye.
- Quickly walk through the space and pick up any stray hairs that you see.
- If it's daytime, open the curtains all the way and let the light in so that your guests are distracted by the view outside. You can even open the window if the weather is nice.
- If it's evening, turn off the overhead lights and use lamps to hide imperfections and create a cozy vibe.
- Flip the blinds up to hide the side with dust on it.
- No matter what, you must change the bed sheets & towels with clean ones. Even if your guests have arrived and are watching you make the bed, it's the right thing to do. Just apologize for the delay, smile, and keep making that bed.
- If you already made the bed but the sheets are all wrinkled and looking just awful, lightly spritz the sheets with water and tuck them in real tight. The water will help release the wrinkles for a smoother appearance. We recommend these sheets to help minimize wrinkles.
- Have a strong odor in the house that needs to be eradicated asap? Throw some cinnamon in boiling water and let the mixture permeate your rental. It is guaranteed to smell great and mask any obnoxious odors.
- Really crunched for time? Spray some pine smelling cleaner in the air by the front door right before your guests arrive. Your guests will associate the smell with cleaning and believe their rooms are clean, too.
- Put some music on in the background. By occupying your guests' sense of hearing, they will be less able to focus on the cleanliness of the space.
- Leave the vacuum out for your guests to see as soon as they walk into the rental. They will think you've been busy cleaning and getting everything in tip top shape for them.